Fenugreek seeds which are high in fiber and protein have various other beneficial components including iron, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin C, phosphates, flavonoids, saponins, trigonelline, and other alkaloids.
Because of their anti-inflammatory properties these seeds have been traditionally used to get relief from pain due to arthritis and gout too. There are more than one way to have fenugreek seeds for arthritis.
- Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning, discard the water and chew the seeds. You will feel the bitterness first but gradually you’ll adapt to its taste.
- If you can’t stand the bitter taste of fenugreek seeds while chewing, swallow the seeds with water.
- You can also use fenugreek seeds powder. Mix one tsp of this powder to a cup lukewarm water and have this in the morning on an empty stomach everyday for about 2-3 months.
- You can also use fenugreek powder or seeds in your gravies and curries.
Natural Remedies for Arthritis
Ginger for Arthritis
Ginger root is one herb that can be called a superfood. Many ancient medicine systems including Chinese, Indian and Arabic herbal medicines have used ginger to not only treat arthritis pain but also for many other medical conditions like diarrhea, nausea, colic, and heart conditions. In one of the studies conducted with 261 people having osteoarthritis in knee, the patients were given ginger extract twice daily and they reported less pain as well as needed fewer pain-killing medications. So, you can, without worry, add ginger to your daily menu. Use it for gravies, teas or chew it raw with some salt. Ayurveda, in fact, recommends a mixture of certain spices with ginger to cure arthritis.
You will need:
- Ginger powder- 50 g
- Fenugreek seeds powder- 50 g
- Turmeric- 50 g
- Mix all the three ingredients- fenugreek, turmeric and ginger powder.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Every morning and evening, take one tsp of this mixture. You can mix it with warm water and have it.
Mustard Oil- Camphor Massage for Arthritis
Massaging aching and swollen joints with herbal oils is one of the ancient ways to manage arthritis. Here is a recipe for such oil.
You will need:
- Mustard oil- 1 cup
- Camphor- 10 g
- Take mustard oil in a pan.
- Add camphor to this oil.
- Heat the oil till the camphor gets completely dissolved.
- Let it cool down a little till it gets lukewarm.
- Massage your joints gently with this lukewarm oil.
Sesame Seeds for Arthritis
Chinese traditional medicine recommends eating sesame seeds for arthritis relief. Sesame seeds are rich in fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, and copper that help in reducing inflammation and pain.
- Sprinkle a little sesame seeds powder on your choice of dishes and have it during lunch and dinner.
- Soak black sesame seeds in a cup of water overnight. Have this water along with the seeds in the morning.
Juice Remedy for Arthritis
If you have rheumatoid arthritis, you should try to have certain juices on daily basis. The juices that you have must be high in anti-inflammatory components like beta-carotene which is found in parsley, broccoli and spinach; copper which is found in carrots, apples and ginger; pineapple which is rich in the enzyme bromelain. If you have osteoarthritis, you should avoid citrus fruits and certain vegetable juices like those made with potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant. Here are some suggestion for juices that you may have.
- Carrot, celery, and cabbage Juice having a dash of Parsley.
- Potato juice (only for Rheumatoid Arthritis). Soak thin slices of potatoes with peel in a glass of water overnight. Have this water in the morning.
- Cherry juice.
- Carrot, beet, and cucumber juice
- Radish and garlic juice
Diet Remedy for Arthritis
Proper diet is of utmost importance when you talk about home remedies for arthritis because here you take some food that affects your joints and body inflammation in a negative way, there you’ll lose all the benefits from the herbs and spices you use for getting relief from arthritis. Thus, have a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet having complex carbohydrates from vegetables and grains. This kind of diet helps in reducing the fat in your tiny arteries that supply blood to your joints. This means your joints will get more oxygen, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that you take through various herbs and foods for your arthritis. Here are some diet rules for you to follow.
- To detox your body, first of all take 2 tea spoons of lemon juice mixed in a glass of warm water with 1 tea spoon of honey. Have it twice, in morning and evening.
- Avoid foods that produce gas and lead to bloating. These include cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, lady’s fingers and potatoes.
- Have vegetable juices and soups that are made with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients. For example, juices of carrot, beat root and cucumber mixed together is good for you.
- Have green salad with a simple dressing of lemon juice and a little salt.
- Have fruits like apples, oranges, grapes, papaya etc.
- Have vegetables like squash, zucchini, pumpkin.
- Use such spices as cumin, coriander, ginger, asafetida, garlic, fennel and turmeric while cooking and also as seasoning for salads, yogurt etc.
- Avoid hot and spicy as well as fried foods, and
- Avoid excessive tea, coffee, alcohol, white sugar, yogurt, chocolate, cocoa, smoking.
Proper diet, certain exercises and herbs as well spices mentioned above can go a long way to give you relief from arthritis