Turmeric. From where to start? Turmeric has been used to treat liver disease in ancient medicine as well as respiratory illnesses, gastrointestinal problems, muscle and joint pain (including arthritis), skin disorders, and to promote healing all over.
Anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial, this spice is highly beneficial for chronic disease and autoimmune disease where inflammation is prominent.
Turmeric has been shown to improve and stabilize blood sugar, detoxify the liver from environmental toxins by neutralizing free radicals, treating food allergies and intolerances, preventing degenerative cognitive illnesses such as Alzheimer’s and dementia, and even treating cancer and depression. Do you need any more reasons to start cooking with this spice?
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil has a ton of health benefits, including promoting a healthy weight, healthy heart, healthy immune system, digestion, and may help prevent liver and kidney disease. It’s also an effective wound healer, moisturizer, and overall beauty BFF!
- Coconut milk. Magnesium, vitamin B, electrolytes, a source of fatty acids that can combat weight gain, helps stabilize blood sugar, and promote joint health. Yes, please!
- Black pepper. Helps ease cold symptoms, fights anemia, aids digestion, and combats free radicals. Black pepper will also help your body to absorb the turmeric!
- Ginger. Helps digestion, combats nausea, and helps ease cold symptoms. Ginger may even help muscle pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties, help with blood sugar, and ease menstrual pain in addition to other types of pain.
- Honey. Promotes healing due to its antibacterial properties, cold relief, can aid with sleep and relaxation, and can even be used to treat allergies!
How to Make It
Making golden milk is easy and only requires the ingredients listed above! You could also use other types of milk in place of the coconut milk, but I wouldn’t recommend using dairy. Besides not wanting to support the dairy industry (do you KNOW where milk comes from??), it’s also important to note that dairy is one of the most common food intolerances and can be responsible for a wide range of health problems including irritable bowel syndrome, eczema, acne, or you could have an allergic reaction to dairy, which could include hives and breathing problems.
Well. Now that we’ve covered that!
Golden Milk Recipe:
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- A small piece (about a quarter to a half-inch wide) of fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- Pinch of black pepper
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
All you need to do is blend the ingredients, put in a saucepan to heat up for about five minutes (no boiling!) and then drink it. Hurrah!
Give golden milk a try either upon waking or before going to bed to help your body detoxify, promote healing, decrease inflammation, and enjoy many other health benefits of this delicious milk!