Hydrogen peroxide – chemically represented as H2O2 – is one of the most common household disinfectants in the world. In fact, odds are pretty good that you have a bottle in your medicine cabinet or under your kitchen sink right now.
People typically use hydrogen peroxide for sanitizing small cuts and as a whitener for delicate items, however there is much more to this little brown bottle than most of us realize.
It is considered a natural, effective and very safe disinfectant. It can kill microorganisms by oxidation of them, which can be described as a controlled burning process.
When the peroxide reacts with organic material that decomposes oxygen and water in the materials. It is a common component of the house that can be used to disinfect cuts and is a bleach for delicate items.
Hydrogen peroxide is a colorless liquid that is only a little more viscous than water. Actually, he seems to like water, but it’s definitely not water. The powerful oxidizing properties allow the peroxide to be a great bleaching agent. The oxidizing properties allow it to react to bacteria, viruses, spores and yeasts. There are many other things in which peroxide can be used in the home.
As a Mouthwash
For those who spend hours brushing teeth and still are unable to overcome the bad breath, try hydrogen peroxide.
One great alternative to mouthwash for bad breath is to use hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide kills off the unhealthy or bad bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath.
However, make sure you don’t over use hydrogen peroxide. Prolonged or excess of hydrogen peroxide may also kill good bacteria in the mouth, while aiming at the bad ones.
Things you’ll need:
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (anti-bacterial)– ½ cup
- Honey (for taste) – ½ tablespoon
- Peppermint essential oil (adds freshness) – 5 to 10 drops
- Water – ½ cup
Single-Step Treatment: Combine the ingredients & use as a mouthwash
- Pour ½ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a bottle.
- Add an equal amount of water. You can use peppermint hydrosol instead of water to add extra healing benefits, flavor, and smell.
- Blend in ½ tablespoon of honey into the solution.
- Add 5 to 10 drops of peppermint essential oil into the mixture.
- Store the solution in a dark and cool place. Peroxide breaks down in sunlight to turn into water; therefore, it is advised to store it in a cool and dark place.
Swish and gargle your mouth with this homemade mouthwash once every day.
For more inculcating aroma and benefits, you can blend in 2 to 3 drops of any other preferred essential oil.
To Whiten The Teeth:
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent and thus works charm in most teeth-whitening products.
Baking soda, a natural abrasive, is another effective teeth-whitening ingredient that prevents discoloration, removes plaque, and works best for surface stains on teeth.
A combination of hydrogen peroxide with baking soda releases free radicals that help break up the stain molecules on the surface of the teeth and thus works effectively to naturally whiten your teeth.
Note: To limit the risk of teeth sensitivity, it is strictly advised to use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in the remedy as opposed to the 10% solution used in some commercial toothpaste.
Things you’ll need:
- To 3% hydrogen peroxide (bleaching agent) – 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda (mild abrasive) – 1 tablespoon
Single-Step Method: Brush your teeth with baking soda-hydrogen peroxide paste
- Add 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients completely to form a paste.
- Place a blob of teeth-whitening paste on your toothbrush and brush with it gently for about 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with plain water.
Follow this remedy 2 times a week for up to 10 weeks to get good results.
Note: If the paste feels too harsh for your teeth and gums, dilute the hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of water before mixing it with baking soda.
We must apply it with the help of a cotton wool on the affected area and the face should be previously clean and dry.
Remove Fungus From The Nails:
Apply on your nails with a little water in equal parts, try not to use it on any wound.
Eliminate Sore Throat:
In a half cup of warm water add a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide, use it as gargles, which will allow you to kill bacteria lodged in your throat.
Manipulate with the help of a cotton on the wound this will give you a quick healing and avoid the infection of it.
Natural Hair Rinse:
In cold water previously boiled and in equal parts, (understand half a cup of water and half a cup of hydrogen peroxide) use as last water in washing the hair, It is not recommended for dark brown or black hair.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide near your eyes as it may damage your eyes.
- If you are suffering from some kind of ear infection, it is advised to consult a doctor before proceeding with the treatment for earache and earwax.
- The prolonged usage of hydrogen peroxide can reduce your skin’s ability to naturally remove dead cells to generate a new layer. Therefore, use a moderate of hydrogen peroxide for a short period.
- Whenever using hydrogen peroxide on your hair, wear old clothes, lest you end up bleaching your favorite clothing.
- Do not use metal bowls to stir up mixtures as hydrogen peroxide may react with the metals to alter the ingredients. Stick to plastic or glass bowls.
As noted oxygenated water has more uses than we commonly give, so from now on should not be missing from your bathroom shelf.
Thanks for reading!