Due to its strong flavor oregano tea is mostly used as a culinary spice.
Most people don’t know it has incredibly powerful healing properties. Oregano is the most efficacious natural remedy which has been used for centuries in the treatment of numerous diseases.
Oregano tea abound with antioxidants such as rosemary acid and thymol. Phytonutrients protect and revitalize the damaged cells in the body.
In fact free radicals are byproducts of digestion and they always affect the DNA membrane, which further causes various chronic ailments. Oregano abound with Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins such as E, A and C, and minerals, including iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and calcium.
Oregano is rich in volatile oils which have carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic, anti-malaria and anti-fungal properties. Its antiseptic qualities hinder the growth and multiplication of the harmful microorganisms that invade your body.
Oregano tea owing to its soothing effects, is mostly used as a cure for sinus issues, sore throat, and various infections. The extract of oregano can improve the cancer indicators , according to the Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacy.
It was found that the growth of colon cancer cells was significantly reduced and the cells were eventually destroyed after being exposed to oregano extract. These findings require further research.
Consuming oregano tea on a regular basis can lower the levels of cholesterol in the body.
Oregano is packed with antivirals which give your immune system a boost, thus fighting off and preventing many health diseases. For example:
- Soothes headaches and back pain
- Fights ear and sinus infections
- Alleviates colds, flu, and coughs
- Treats nasal congestion
- Stimulates appetite
- Keeps the optimal body weight
- Treats constipation and urinary problems
- Alleviates heartburn and fatigue
- Eases asthma attacks
- It treats a sore throat
- Kills the intestinal parasites
- Relieves menstrual pain and cramps
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves the function of the cardiovascular system
- Preparation of oregano tea:
- You should use either dried or fresh leaf of oregano.
- When you want to use fresh leaves you need two cups of water and 1/2 -1 tablespoon of the leaves.
- In case you prefer dried ones, you need a tablespoon of these leaves and two cups of water.
- You should chop the fresh/dried leaves (since chopping releases more of their active compounds) and put them in the two cups.
- You need to pour the leaves with hot water and let it stay for about ten minutes. After that you can drink the tea.