Can someone explain to me why, in the fitness industry, directives are given in a formulation as "I want you to" instead of the regular &quo...

Can someone explain to me why, in the fitness industry, directives are given in a formulation as "I want you to" instead of the regular "do"?

For example, I went to the PT last week and instead of simply saying "hold the dumbbell like this and move your hand back", he said "i want you to hold the dumbbell like this and then I need you to move your hand back". It's like they emphasize their role in it, instead of just telling me what to do. This is the case everywhere, even in youtube videos, where instead of just teaching the movement, they tell you how they "want you" to do the movement.

This is not the case in any other profession. Imagine if you went to the hair dresser, and they told you "I want you to tilt your head to the right now", it's so awkward
Or if the doctor said "I need you to stand on this scale now"

The impression it gives me, is that they want you to recognize their role, almost as if they need to justify it, instead of just treating you, but why is this and who started this meme way of talking? I can't be the only one who's noticed this?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago

I realise that this may be difficult to grasp for a sufferer of autist but the use of imperatives tends to rub people the wrong way. Particularly when someone is in a vulnerable situation (as fats and women, the majority of PT clients, are in this context).

The use of modal language is to reassure such people. The implication is "i want you to do this but if you can't we'll look at an alternative". This is more encouraging for such individuals than "do this or you're a waste of skin", the implication they would draw from the imperative

• 1 month ago

OP here. Fell asleep after making the thread. This answers the question perfectly. I did not think of it this way. Thank you.

• 1 month ago

>as fats and women, the majority of PT clients, are in this context
      Fats, women, and elderly.

2. 1 month ago

it's called communicating in a non autistic manner
    if you've ever worked a job you might find your superior saying "hey would you like to pass me that drill?" or "can you do this" or would "do you wanna go rake the leaves" etc.
    people would hate being talked to in the way you describe, you can learn something from these trainers in communication

• 1 month ago

No, that is not it. They aren't saying "if you're able to, raise your hand", they say "now what I want you to do is to raise your hand", which just sounds weird. "Now what I need you to do is to pass me the drill." In no other profession, do people "want" or "need" things from you, they simply tell you what to do in a courteous manner

This seems more like the reason though for it in fitness though

• 1 month ago

At my job they put tasks on a slide in front of all of us in an auditorium and simply point to the person who is assigned.
      No words are spoken.
      When you finish the task you return to the auditorium to relax (silently) and be reassigned.

• 1 month ago

>hey, would you like to pass me that drill?
      Translates to
      >hey, gimme the drill, fricker
      on the job site
      The correct response, btw, is
      >here you go, suck my wiener

lmao imagine talking like a PT in the trades

No I wouldn't like to pass you that drill. Do you want me to pass you that drill?

No. I want you to go frick yourself.

Ok im going to the bathroom till the end of a shift, on your orders.

homosexual

3. 1 month ago

because they're just sugar. They aren't required for anything. They know this, but it's important that the client doesn't.
    It's mostly old people and rich people who actively use PT's. Athletes do as well, but they're like 0.5% of the market share.

4. 1 month ago

This is just how many Americans talk, same way so many people talk about historical events using the present tense. I too find it aggravating. Probably started on TV and spread through imitation.

5. 1 month ago

i want you to suck my balls before you consider posting again, OP

6. 1 month ago

You can't be a PT if you don't understand that your clients need more than a list of the things they're supposed to be doing, and that much of that list will be done inconsistently or not at all.

7. 1 month ago

It's just many (but not all) Americans and their inability to think about what they are talking about.

8. 1 month ago

because people who use pts are losers who can't think for themselves. Pts try and act like their mates so they keep coming back. I have never seen anyone who's consistently with a pt make any sort of progress

9. 1 month ago

It's to be polite and also invites a calm response if there's any kind of objection or question, rather than jumping straight to confrontation.

>I want you to xyz..
    >I'm not sure I can do that right now, can we do abc?

>Do xyz!
    >I can't do that! I'm leaving and you're fired!