has anyone tried mouth taping?

so for context i have hayfever 24/7 and so my nose is always inflamed, i suspect because of that i probably mouth breathe when i'm sleeping.

what's the verdict? does mouth taping actually work and forces you to breathe through your nose? just googling around i'm seeing articles and doctors claiming it's dangerous and bad

1. 1 week ago

It would only be dangerous if you choke on the tape lmao. If for some reason you are unable to breath you will instantly awake from slip and rip it off your mouth.

2. 1 week ago

I don’t know about other stuff but I did it for sleep apnea. I tracked my sleep before and after and my heart rate was about 10 bpm slower after I started mouth taping and my percentage of restful sleep was about 20% higher consistently. No idea why they say it’s dangerous other than the usual reason: they can’t make any money off of it and cpap is a good cash cow

3. 1 week ago

I like it, ive been doing it for a couple years now.
    It feels a bit weird in the beginning but you will easily get used to it

4. 1 week ago

I’ve been doing it for almost 2 years now
    It works
    The first few nights are a bit uncomfortable but you will get used to it eventually
    I loved it when I started waking up without being thirsty as hell

5. 1 week ago

why not use picrel?

it seem dangerous to me, though. A few times I've noticed while dreaming that I was really struggling to breathe through my nose and was unable to switch to breathing with my mouth or waking up to use nasal spray

• 1 week ago

>why not use this retarded elastic band putting pressure all over your skull instead of a small piece of tape?

• 1 week ago

chin straps pull your jaw backwards, exacerbating any kind of sleep apnea you have or even causing sleep apnea. They are the worst thing to use.

6. 1 week ago

Tried it but tape would come off due to facial hair. Mouth was a bit less dry on waking

7. 1 week ago

I've been doing it for some months and i can feel my nose is less clogged. Do i have better sleep? I do not know, but what i can tell you is that in my case, it helps with allergies.

8. 1 week ago

What tape should I use ideally? Also, do I need to shave my beard?

• 1 week ago

>What tape should I use ideally?
      I also want to know, but regardless I'm trying duct tape tonight.

• 1 week ago

been doing it for about half a year, i like it

>What tape should I use ideally?
      I also want to know, but regardless I'm trying duct tape tonight.

initially i used this one
      it didn't cause any irritation, but it left some residue, which was pretty annoying. now i use this
      no irritation, no residue.

• 1 week ago

Microfoam or some other medical tape designed for use on skin

• 1 week ago

Tbh everyone should have used this for COVID would have worked wonders

9. 1 week ago

That isn’t hayfever, it’s constant inflammation due to fungus infections. Consume baking soda and boron in water to kill off the fungus system-wide, and to raise the Ph of the body preventing the inflammatory state. As for the nose breathing, it should already be instinctual. Otherwise, have fun being a chinless retard.

• 1 week ago

You do know of pH-homeostasis, right? Or is this another of the retarded IST “health” hacks?

10. 1 week ago

unrelated but I wake up with burning eyes literally every single morning and I don't know what to do

Cleaning my sheets does nothing, air filter in room does nothing, washing my eyelids does nothing. Showering before sleep does nothing

I am sick of it

• 1 week ago

Mold / fungus? Some sort of other allergic reaction?

• 1 week ago

can you be alergic to wool? I have a handknit wool blanket my grandma's friend made for me years ago that I sleep with

11. 1 week ago

Put it vertically instead. Maybe two pieces .

12. 1 week ago

Been doing it since 2019.
    Mouth/gum health is a lot better.
    HOWEVER- if you have a lot of stress and prone to waking at night it may induce a negative spiral and ruin sleep quality.

On the flipside, if you have your life dialed in, it helps you get some beautifully restful sleep.